These goals will require the active collaboration of all levels of government and the private sector The private sector will be the primary developer, implementer, owner, and operator of the Identity Ecosystem, which will succeed only if it serves as a platform for innovation in the market. The Federal Government will enable the private sector and will lead by example through the early adoption and provision of Identity Ecosystem services. It will partner with the private sector to develop the Identity Ecosystem, and it will ensure that baseline levels of security, privacy, and interoperability are built into the Identity Ecosystem Framework.
That said, I include here some key points from the document. A user-centric “Identity Ecosystem” is proposed – an online environment where individuals and organizations will be able to trust each other because they follow agreed upon standards to obtain and authenticate their digital identities—and the digital identities of devices.
- Privacy protections for individuals, who will be able trust that their personal data is handled fairly and transparently;
- Convenience for individuals, who may choose to manage fewer passwords or accounts than they do today;
- Efficiency for organizations, which will benefit from a reduction in paper-based and account management processes;
- Ease-of-use, by automating identity solutions whenever possible and basing them on technology that is simple to operate;
- Security, by making it more difficult for criminals to compromise online transactions;
- Confidence that digital identities are adequately protected, thereby promoting the use of online services;
- Innovation, by lowering the risk associated with sensitive services and by enabling service providers to develop or expand their online presence;
- Choice, as service providers offer individuals different—yet interoperable—identity credentials and media
- Identity solutions will be privacy-enhancing and voluntary
- Identity solutions will be secure and resilient
- Identity solutions will be interoperable
- Identity solutions will be cost-effective and easy to use